Sunday 2 November 2014

Be Careful What You Wish For

I've been a little neglectful of my blog lately.  I'm not going to offer any excuses, only explanations.

Back in April/May, I knew that I needed to make a change.  I was overwhelmed and unhappy at work.  I needed to work to pay the bills, but I wanted something different, something more.  I felt that I was on a conveyor belt, unable to get off no matter how hard I tried.

So, I took a pretty big chance and it paid off.  I applied to graduate school in Toronto, Nutrition Communications.  There was one spot left and as I feverishly put together my application package, I knew that the spot could be gone before I had it completed.  For three incredibly long weeks I waited for news, worrying that I didn't do enough, my marks weren't good enough.  This was the second time I applied to the program; 6 years earlier I wasn't accepted and completely heart broken.  This time the news was much better.

For the past two months I have been commuting to Toronto (2 hrs each way), working as a dietitian and going to school.  Sometimes it's an easy transition back into student mode, but for some classes it's much harder than I ever imagined.  But this is what I wanted.  I knew it was going to be stressful, demanding and exhausting, but rewarding at the same time.

Through this entire process, so far, I've kept up my workouts, signed up for indoor cycling (no, not spinning!) a 1/2 marathon and 1/2 Ironman distance triathlon.  Whenever I do a lot of mental work, I need to do something physical or living in my head for so long will drive me crazy.

Not exactly a balanced life, but 'You got to do what you got to do to get what you want' (one of my many mottos).  Unfortunately when you're this busy things get neglected, like this blog, my personal life, sleep, etc.  I'm luck enough to have friends and family who understand and have been through this before with me.

My plan moving forward is to share some of the work I've been creating. I'm also working on creating a website, but probably not before the New Year.

It's daunting process trying to meet everyone's expectations, especially mine, but I think I'm up for it, at least so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment